Monday, September 2, 2013

Love came down and rescued me.

The summer that changed everything.

The summer of two thousand and thirteen was one to remember. It was a short period of my life that was full of laughter, memories and an overwhelming amount of love. A love so real and deep, that it is hard to put into words. So I will try my best.

Many people have asked me, "Karissa, what have you been doing?" Which I quickly respond by saying, "I have no idea." Which for some that can be absolutely terrifying, but for me it is not. The truth is I am being blindly led into something that I have never experienced before. My only choice is to trust that God knows what direction he is pulling me in, and I must obey. For the past three months I have spent my time investing in the lives of people within the Alexandria area. This summer, I worked with kids twice a day in two different areas. I thought I was there to teach these kids about Jesus, but instead they taught me more about Jesus than I have ever experienced before. They taught me most importantly about love. Unconditional love. I would look into their eyes and see a child wanting to be loved. You could bring out toys and play games, but if you weren't there to love them there was no point. I have kids who have been through more than most people do in their lifetime. It became difficult to adjust how I respond to each child because of their situations, but the Lord was so faithful in teaching me how to love properly. Through these kids the Lord has taught me numerous things. I have learned when to be patient, and when to be gentle. I have learned when it is okay to raise my voice, and when I just need to listen. I have learned to be completely and totally vulnerable in hopes that my kids will see that I am human just like them. I have learned about a love that sets you free. A love that breaks down every single barrier you have up, and doesn't hold back. A love that completely breaks your heart in every way possible. A love so strong, that it washes away every fear and every doubt. A love that is healing and calming to the soul.  This love has rescued me, time and time again. This is the love that these kids so freely give to me. 

I can not imagine my life without my new family. I am thankful for the constant support that everyone has given me, and for the encouragement to live out my dream of doing ministry. That is why I am SO thankful that God has called me to continue to work with this ministry for the rest of the year. My current plan is to change the city of Alexandria, one child at a time. I will do this by starting a tutoring program that will reach many different areas. There will be many areas that help is needed. If you are interested in being a part of this ministry and being a part of some amazing kids lives, please let me know! I will have more details soon! 



"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
-Ecclesiastes 4:12





No comments:

Post a Comment